Monday, May 03, 2010

The Mad Women of Gabriela Mistral



Just found my unread copy of Poetry News, Winter 2009 and in it, a lovely Latin American poem. Randall Couch's translation of "Locas Mujeres" by Gabriela Mistral won the 2009 Corneliu M Popescu Prize for Poetry Translation - here's a brief excerpt that I copied from Poetry News:

GABRIELA MISTRAL
from THE ABANDONED WOMAN

for Emma Godoy

(...)

I have sat down in the middle of the Earth,
my love, in the middle of my life,
to open my veins and my chest,
to peel my skin like a pomegranate,
and to break the red mahogany
of these bones that loved you.

I'm burning all that we had:
the wide walls, the high beams,
ripping out one by one
the twelve doors you opened
and closing with axe blows
the cistern of happiness.

Gabriela Mistral was the pseudonym of Lucila Godoy, the first Latin American to win the Nobel; she knew Neruda (another pseudonym, originally he was Neftali Basoalto) when he was a 16 year old aspiring poet, 3 years before the maddening brilliance of Twenty Poems of Love and A Song of Despair.

I never knew about Mistral until I saw this feature but it looks like she's written some exceptional literature. She says about her poetry:

"I write poetry because I can't disobey the impulse; it would be like blocikng a spring that surges up in my throat... it no longer matters to me who receives what I submit. What I carry out is, in that respect, greater and deeper than I, I am merely the channel"
.

Wow.

Image sourced from here.

No comments: