Sunday, December 21, 2008

The right to die... is not ours to give.

Since we're on a rebellious rant streak here, here I start again on why euthanasia (the right of a person, usually in mortal sickness, to choose to die) needs to be respected... obviously the seers of the Church don't agree.

Actually, Margo McDonald is way better than me at explaining about this here in The Daily Telegraph- to quote her, ''What I find immoral is the insistence of these people who presume that they can impose their moral code on people for whom life has become totally intolerable". Or more bluntly, if you haven't been stuck in a bed completely paralyzed with someone wiping your ass 7/365 or with half of your body missing after an accident, how can you presume to impose your unfair moral code on someone for whom life is a daily struggle?

I've reached this conclusion after seeing people suffer endlessly and also after playing out quite a few ethical arguments like the parallels to suicide and murder and of course, the inevitable Biblical stances. I completely respect people,who in in similar conditions, choose to live and fight it out against tremendous odds - it is an individual choice that requires amazing willpower and dauntless courage... stuff that most of us will probably never draw upon in one entire lifetime. But like I said, it is an individual choice and I stand by my argument.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘42’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,
Ray