Thursday, December 15, 2005

UPDATE ON GMAT PREP

UPDATE ON GMAT PREP
Down with a throat infection so am downing some antibiotics everyday and falling asleep as soon as I start to prepare everyday. Somewhere deep inside, I appreciate myself for making a noble albeit useless gesture. The show must go on... even if I do fall asleep, let it not be said that I didn’t try!

WHERE AM I?
After my last KAP test (where I scored 540), I had to attend a couple of interviews at B’lore, which meant almost no prep happened for the last 1 week. Now am back clocking approx. 40 problems a day - on various subjects from Reading Comprehension to Math to Data Sufficiency. But somewhere there’s this feeling of unease - that am not focusing on where am going wrong...let me try and summarize again:

WHAT AM I DOING RIGHT?
1. Getting English-SC/ARC/CR mostly right.
2. Finishing well within time in the above sections
3. Doing well in the AWA section

WHAT I CAN DO BETTER?
1. Take more time on each SC/RC/CR problem and double check answers.
2. Create and follow structure/process for dealing with Eng section

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
1. Not finding where am going wrong on the "Two planes/trains/ people approaching each other" problems (sorry, but to admit that am weak at time/rate/speed problems would be too much - i get some of them right ;-)
2. Quite unsure of number properties problem
3. Unable to time and finish problems-esp Math
4. Getting distracted with SMS etc during practice sessions
5. Starting practice too late after office and sleeping off in between problems (ahem it happens, re ;-)

WHAT AM I NOT DOING AT ALL?
1. Managing practice sessions within time limits - only Maths.
2. Taking stamina sessions - cracking 80 odd problems in one go
3. Checking GMAT forums for tougher problems
4. Not reviewing wrong problems seriously
5. Not identifying weak areas and working on them.

Have about 7 weeks to go before GMAT; this weekend will sit and work out a solid schedule for at least 2 hours prep and 1hour review everyday.
  • Need to crack this SOB!

  • Must crack 720+!

  • Must go to Tuck!

9 comments:

La Louve said...

Gdie Luck! Put off your phone when yu are taking the test!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
got here from joker's, blog. Best luck for the exam.
Also, i hope this helps. The length of the train is also considered in questions involving speed/distance .First find the relative speed of the two moving objects( add their speeds if they move in opposite directions and substract if they move in the same direction) and then figure out the time/distance in cases where this applies.
I recently gave my GRE, i have no clue how the GMAT compares to GRE.So am not sure if you get stuff like this or more difficult questions.*smile* Best Luck again!

Anonymous said...

wow! what an incredibly boring blog. what on earth makes you think anyone wants to know details of your gmat preparation?

Ganja Turtle said...

Ah...Dear Rajam,
I can understand the way you feel, there you are - 1 of the billions of the people of the world who has taken your time to navigate through the dense cyber-forests and land up at a blog - and eeeeeeks, what do u find? GMAT preparation track and tips! Ugh, how gross can a blog get! I understand.Of course I do.

For starters, you must understand that I do such things with certain specific aims in mind:
1. Trap innocent netizens: Hidden cunningly within these lines are intellectual enigmas which as you read subconsciously numb your mind and instruct it through physchosomatic signalling to transfer oodles of dollars into my Swiss bank account. Someone has to be finance my multimillion dollar blog and hey, suprize, its u!
2. Tend to my attention-seeking mania
If you were to go through some of my other posts, you would understand that since childhood, due to gross neglect, I have developed a psychological disorder that makes me crave for attention. Although creating a GMAT prep blog wouldnt be the best thing to cure this, statistics prove that I have a fair bet of getting this attention - over 1.5 lakh people take the GMAT every month. Even if 1% of these visit my blog,. write me secret emails, my attention quota for the month is done..."What if they dont?" you ask? "Doesnt look like they do?" you smirk? HA HA HA(Evil laughter)...thats when I stealthily morph at night into Neonimrod - The Master Hunter of cyberdom - With specially crafted software that captures IP addresses and network regions, I track down all the people who havent posted incredibly funny comments on my blog or who havent praised my many poetic twists - then I subscribe them to "Cute Picure of the Day", "Sardar joke of the Day", "Funny quote for the day " and similar mailing lists which would ensure that their mailbox is filled with amazingly funny things and keep them laughing forever and thus prevent them from doing anything meaningful ith their life....YOu dont believe me, do you?
There...there...a lil bird tells me that Santa and Banta want to tell you why they jumped out of an airplane? Why dont you check your mail? ;-)

On a serious note
While I most definitely WILL continue to choose what I post or wont post on MY BLOG, my GMAT prep is more an account for myself...a diary that I maintain and refer to for keeping track. Unlike certain unknown dark creatures without blogs of their won and who will thus remain unnamed,I find that a lot of helpful advice and inspiration comes my way through this blog.

If you get bored, maybe you should browse through some of the other posts...or hey, just check ur inbox! Santa there yet? ;-)

Ganja Turtle said...

@wbix - Ya,just woke up to that possibility ;-)
@iris - thanks a ton!

Leon said...

lol at the "What I am doing wrong part"

Good luck.. :-)

Priya said...

oh !! the disturbing sms and the maths trouble.. can completely relate to tht!! :D

..p..

Anonymous said...

*grin*

Anonymous said...

Hey! Happy New Year! How's your gmat preparation going? I'm also in the same boat, doing practice questions, etc. I can't seem to find the drive to put in a consistent amount of time into this thing! Maybe it's just because of the holiday season!

Anyway, good luck with everything :)